Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gas vs. Charcoal

My memories growing up with my dad grilling always involved carcoal...and alot of it. I was of the opinion that was the only way to cook. In college I would grill venison at college baseball games with the small tabletop charcoal grills. My first grill of our marriage was a cheap charcoal grill that was only large enough for the meat...no room for vegetables!


However, a year ago my wife bought me a combo gas-charcoal grill. I assumed wrongly that I would only use the charcoal side.

I love how I can control the temperature with gas. I love how I can easily have a "hot side" and "cooler side". I also love how I can cook without much warning. One staple meal now that we are on one budget is hotdogs. The discount grocery store Aldi's sells 24 hotdogs for $2. Though they have very little flavor I can easily throw a couple of dogs on there.

There are still great things about cooking with charcoal but for now I am onto gas!

Sometime soon I plan to have a "taste test". I will marinade the meat (probably chicken) and then put half on the gas and half on charcoal. My wife is convinced she will be able to tell the difference but I am not so sure...I will let you know.

1 comment:

The Schaefer Family said...

Yes, please let us know!!
Very nice grill by the way!!