Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grilled Catfish


Today I planned to grill some catfish. I was a little worried at seven am when the grill was covered in a few inches of snow. By ten am we had at least four inches and had spent much of the morning playing in the snow and building a snow man and a snow "fort". The snow fort was turned into a recliner and then used, along with the snowman in a snowball fight.


After a great afternoon nap most of the snow was gone and plans to grill catfish were back on. In December I was given a recipe by a co-worker that I loosely followed. If she is reading this she will note the main change is that I cut the cooking time by two thirds. Here is what I did:

Four fresh catfish filets
dip in a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice
rub with:
onion powder
kosher salt
fresh black pepper
chili powder

Cooked the fish in a roasting pan for about 14 minutes.

For the salsa topping:
1 can of rotel completely drained
teaspoon of lemon juice
5 springs of cilantro

Added the salsa on the plate. If children had not been eating the fish I probably would have added the salsa while it was on the grill.

The corn was my usual recipe for grilling corn. About 7 minutes over direct heat and then about 7 more minutes in the foil pack. Before grilling I rubbed butter along the corn and then seasoned with fresh black pepper and kosher salt.

Everything turned out great! I look forward to cooking catfish again soon.






1 comment:

outdoorgriller said...

Wow you got the grill out in the winter and the food looks great.I grill in the winter time too in the rain.If you want more recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com