Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Grilled chuck roast and potatoes


Chuck roast can be tricky to decide how to prepare. I have several in the deep freezer and I will try to do significantly different method to prepare them. You are always safe cooking it in a crock pot overnight and dumping a coke and a bottle of barbecue sauce over it...that works well.

However, I wanted to try a completely grilled method. I marinaded the roast in a mixture of beer, salt, pepper, and onion powder for about three hours. I wrapped the roast in foil and cooked for three hours on indirect heat. For the last twenty minutes or so I removed the foil and cooked closer to the coals (but still not on direct heat). All in all it turned out well.
The potatoes were wrapped in foil and were cooked in the coals. I put them in and ran an errand away from the house and 45 minutes later they were perfect.
Coming tomorrow...using leftover chuck roast.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

what did you do to the chuck roast to prepare it for the grill? My father in law owns a red angus ranch and sends us these all the time. i have a deep freeze full of them and get tired of roasts in the crock pot. this looks interesting though.

Unknown said...

Thanks. Guess I should have clarified on the post...I loaded the picture yesterday and scheduled it to post today but never got around to saying what I did!

I marinaded it for a couple of hours in a cheap beer and just the typical spices you would expect...salt, pepper, etc.

I cooked it indirect heat for about two hours.