Monday, January 18, 2010

Grilled Turkey

This afternoon I finally prepared the turkey. I decided to use an injectable marinade but did not have a syringe. My veterinarian offered to supply one but I never made it by his office. Since this was my first attempt in using an injectable marinade, I used a store-bought product along with instructions.
Following the directions on the bag, I cooked the 9 pound turkey for about three hours. I covered the bird in foil and put it in a roasting pan that I bought specifically for using on the grill. I cooked mostly on indirect heat but moved it to direct for the last twenty minutes. I also used some smoke chips and they produced some great smoke for half an hour.

Once the turkey reached an internal temperature of 165 I removed the foil cover and took it off the grill. I did a good job of keeping the lid closed. From the time I put the bird on the grill I only opened the grill four times. Twice to add more charcoal (and rotate the bird) and twice to check the temperature of the bird. Before cooking, I did have to remove the top rack from my grill in order for the turkey to fit. I hope to reinstall it tonight when the grill cools.
I carved the bird and you can see the great lines of marinade in the turkey. The flavor of the injectable marinade was "Creole Butter." I also used a small amount of Cajun seasoning on the skin of the turkey. The bird was moist and quite delicious. After this I may be drafted to cook the Thanksgiving turkey!
My two year old daughter had no objections! The rest of us were also pleased with the bird. I am excited about future attempts and making my own marinade.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

that looks delicious. Helen is precious with her leg. i'll have to get my husband to try that one weekend when he's home.

in case you are wondering who this person commenting is, i used to work with renie at bsc.

Unknown said...

That looks absolutely great. It's been too long since I've injected anything.