Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Complete Meal on the Grill


This weekend I decided to cook an entire meal on the grill. It turned out good! For the main dish I made burgers. I used a generous sprinkling of a season salt. Though I have plenty left over, this is what I mixed.

6 tbs salt

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tsp marjoram

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp celery seed



For the side dish I made a grilled potato salad. I had a rub (maybe too spicy) and a dressing to go over the cooked potatoes.

I cooked and crumbled (inside) five pieces of bacon and dumped the six diced red potatoes into the bacon grease. I then added the spices:

2 tbs Kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp celery seeds

Potatoes were cooked in a throw-away tin on the top rack of the grill. They cooked for about 45 minutes. They were the first thing placed on the grill!

The dressing, something I often mix for dipping sausage, was a mix of mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and Worshestershire sauce. For this recipe it was a total of about 1/2 cup. Dressing was added once potatoes were removed from the grill.

For the dessert I grilled individual angel food cakes. In the top picture you can see the small cake tins. Since it was my first attempt to bake on the grill I used a box cake mix. I used Crisco in each of the tins and filled them each about half-way. Cake cooked on the grill about 45 minutes. I also pureed a bag of thawed mixed berries with some lemon and lime juices to top the cake. Cake turned out light with a slight smoky taste. Cake on the grill may become a regular thing now!

No comments: