Friday, April 22, 2011

Smoked Boston Butt

On a recent weekend I decided to smoke a Boston butt. For those that are wondering, a Boston Butt is the upper portion of a pork shoulder. I had friends who had cooked all night. Deciding that I had no desire to pull an 'all-nighter' I decided to smoke the butt all day!


The starting product at 9:00 am. The pork (need to use a word other than 'butt') was rubbed with:



4 teaspoons Kosher salt




2 teaspoons Brown Sugar




2 teaspoons paprika




.5 teaspoons pepper




.5 teaspoons garlic powder




.5 teaspoons dry mustard


I wrapped the pork in foil and, like my rib recipe, poured a cup of apple juice/shot of apple cider vinegar. Around 4:00 pm., after adding lump coal four times, I opened the foil to check on the process. I also added a few ears of corn. In my opinion, smoked corn was not as good as grilled corn. I cooked this corn in the husks for twenty minutes then removed cooked directly on the grates for another fifteen.






This is what the pork looked like at 5:00 pm. The pork as very tender and was falling apart as I removed it from the grill. The pork made several great meals....check the blog in a day or two for other uses for the pork.

No comments: